by Jonathan Chambers, Beer and Wine Manager
We know you’re always looking for new, fun drink recipes to impress at your holiday parties. And we’re here to help! This recipe, called the George Washington Eggnog, comes straight from our first president’s hand and was one of his favorite drinks for celebrating Christmas at Mount Vernon. We put our own cidery-spin on it for the holidays (like we do). It’s perfect to make in advance so when party times comes, all you have to do is enjoy!
- One quart cream
- One quart milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus one tablespoon reserved
- 2 cups brandy (Laird’s Straight Apple Brandy)
- 1 cup Jamaican Rum (Plantation Original Dark)
- 1 cup Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse 100)
- 1/2 cup sherry (whatever’s hidden in your mom’s pantry)
- 12 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream til soft peaks form. Move mixture to a separate bowl.
- Combine liquors and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Slowly add sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved.
- Add the milk and liquor mixture, stir to combine. Move mixture to a separate bowl.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat til it starts to softly peak. Continue running the mixer, and gradually add the reserved 1 tablespoon of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the cream and egg yolk mixtures together. Then fold in the egg whites.
- Chill and serve.
Please note, this is what we call an alcohol forward drink (incredibly boozy), so please consume with care!